Before I get accused of vested interests, I’ll come clean, as I’m always an open book, that yes blogging is good for your business and it is for mine too. I get paid reasonably well to do something I enjoy and am reasonably good at: writing.

When I used to tell people I met that I was a writer, I was always asked for titles of fiction I’d written – there was always a faint whiff of “oh dear” when I explain I write blogs for others.

I’m no author on Amazon, ‘tis true, but I make a handsome and enjoyable loving from copywriting and web designing, as y’all know.

Unless your website is a shop, with new products added and offers, or a forum, with frequent updates, or a news site, you’re unlikely to get much in terms of web traffic on a daily basis. If this website was bereft of blogs (300 plus now), would people turn up to marvel at my mug shot in woods or admire the contact form or read what I do?

Not really.

But when I post a blog, traffic surges.

Now don’t get me wrong – the website doesn’t crash with traffic. Some posts garner 100 views, some a 1000, some even more, according to Google Analytics.


When I don’t post articles, traffic drops to a small amount as the website becomes static.

Yours will too.

A blog keeps the momentum bubbling, engages readers and gives people something to come back for.

Provided it’s not shit of course.

Some businesses write blogs (or pay others to write them) in a SEO mechanistic way. Keywords and phrases sprinkled in and your Google ranking will soar. That is shit of course.

No human, me included, wants to read a post that has been carefully constructed to appease an algorithm, but the real readers not the Google bots, see it as the equivalent of watching magnolia paint dry.

I see it all the time with companies, particularly property companies, playing safe so as not to offend but gaining zero interest with those painting by numbers ghostwritten blogs.

They’re boring.

In my opinion.

If you want people to come back and  read your next post, and your one after, and your one after that, for goodness sake don’t serve them an SEO clappy smiley beige blancmange of words that may please search engines but certainly won’t win you followers.

A blog should do that: it should create tribes of followers who know that when they click that title, that featured image, that it’s not going to be a coma-inducing yawn fest.

If you’ve nothing to say in your blogs that interests readers, don’t say it, but find a freelance writer who can and will – and there’s tens of thousands of us out there, waiting to weave words for you.

Another thing.

Google rewards fresh content.

It likes backlinks too, which I’ve debated this week, but it loves fresh content.

Your website should have a blog page – a news page, articles, call them what you want – and each time a blog is created, with a carefully crafted metadescription, an alt tagged featured image, some H2, H3 subheadings and is submitted to Google Search  Console or to Google Plus, Google’s all-seeing eyes shine with delight.

Even more so when you use the 70-30 rule.

30% spent creating content and the other 70% throwing it to the likes of Twitter, LinkedIn, your Facebook page, Stumbleupon, Medium, video highlights of your content on YouTube and Instagram.

A blog post that takes a copywriter an hour to shape, should have two hours spent sharing.

Previous blog posts can be reshared too and when someone lands on your website, from a blog, they may just look at the Home page, your bio, your services, your products, your testimonials and your social media links and make a decision to buy into what you’re selling – maybe not there and then, but some time in the future.

It’s an absolute no brainer having a news page.

Any web designer can add one, and you or a paid writer can create the content for you to share with your network.

If you’re keen to know more, drop me an email at [email protected] and I will sort out a blogging page for you or a full website with a news tab, and point you in the direction of some fantastic content creators who I’m friends with.

Let me end with an example.

South Coast Boilers was created from a new domain by me and I liaised with Bruce Crabbe the owner about the news page and together we created three unique posts which you can see here. They signal that this new enterprise is not simply an online business card, but a source of information for others about Ideal, Viessmann and Vaillant boilers.

Bruce knew it made business sense and I was happy to confirm that it did.

Whether you’re starting a business or regenerating an existing one, blogging is good for your business (and of course, mine).

If you’ve got a website, with no blog posts, or a website with blogs that are older than the clients in a Toyota dealership, get in touch and let me help you and your business grow.